In this episode of Medicubes, hosts Chris, Riwka, and Kim are joined by guest Kylie Gibson, Business Manager at Fisher Family Practice, Holder Family Practice and Fisher Allied Health.
They discuss the important role of social workers in general practice, the benefits of integrating social workers into care teams, the various services they provide, and how they support vulnerable elderly individuals to remain in their homes.
Tune in for insights into the collaborative approach between social workers and GPs, the challenges faced, and the positive impact on patient care.
- Social Worker Role: Referred patients get comprehensive support, covering information provision, ongoing aid, and tackling complex healthcare needs.
- Teamwork and Patient Goals: Social workers collaborate with patients, focusing on goal-setting and consistent consultations.
- Advocacy: They serve as advocates, guiding patients through the system to close any gaps in care.
- Pilot Program: Funded by Capital Health Network, the Social Workers in General Practice Pilot Program is an Australian first, aiming to enhance care for those with complex social and health barriers.
- Evaluation: University of Canberra is independently evaluating the program.
- Financial Barriers: Although currently limited by funding and Medicare restrictions, the data collected in this pilot will hopefully demonstrate the ongoing need for Social Workers in General Practice, and propose pathways for future funding.
- Vulnerable Elders Survey (VES-13): https://www.rand.org/health-care/projects/acove/survey.html
- Medicubes Podcast: Website: www.medicubes.com.au